[Debburn-devel] Re: Problem recording with new system

scdbackup at gmx.net scdbackup at gmx.net
Wed Feb 28 11:13:37 CET 2007

Hi,

Vladimir Nadvornik wrote:
> Using /dev/sr consistently should be the correct way with recent kernels

Interesting point.

As sr on kernel 2.4 does neither work for SG_IO nor obey O_EXCL
one has to continue support for sg.
On 2.6 we usually had /dev/hdX as address. But the new SATA
devices raise the sg-sr issue again.

The only known obstacle for kernel 2.6 sr in libburn is
ioctl(CDROM_DRIVE_STATUS). But its purpose is to
distinguish sg CD drives from other sg devices - the same
is supposed to be already done by the device classification
as sr (and not sd or st).

If the cdrkit project makes a decision to let wodim
operate preferrably on /dev/srN then libburnia would be
interested to join that convention. We should use the
same decision criterion, then.

To my estimation this would affect wodim with option
--devices and with translation of Bus,Lun,Target into
a device file address.
In order to get full locking compatibility with libburn
or growisofs, wodim should in this case translate
dev=/dev/sgN into /dev/srN internally. libburnia would
develop the code for that (we currently translate sr to sg,
we then would translate vice versa).

What is the best criterion to tell kernel 2.4 from kernel
2.6 ? (Or better: to tell good sr from bad sr ?)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas