[Debburn-devel] issues burning using a Plextor CD/DVD drive

Eduard Bloch edi at gmx.de
Tue Jan 30 19:38:19 CET 2007

#include <hallo.h>
* Sean Perry [Tue, Jan 30 2007, 10:00:41AM]:
> I have a PX-760A that is giving me grief. When connected to the system's
> PATA controller all is well. If instead it is connected to an external
> USB or ieee1394 controller the device is removed by the kernel.
>
> Here is what happens near as I can tell after doing some snooping with
> GDB and printf.
>
> I run 'wodim dev=$DEV -checkdrive'. The wodim code hits the "is this a
> plextor?" code path. Once ANY of the Plextor specific commands are sent
> the SCSI bus times out and the kernel marks the device as misbehaving
> and removes it from the SCSI system.
>
> My problem is this drive is meant to be used in our externel cd burning
> robot which uses firewire 800 so just working as a PATA direct connect
> is not sufficient.
>
> Any other debugging info I can provide, please let me know.

I have been using PX-760A connected through a low-cost PATA/SATA-to-USB
adapter without such problems. Please show the exact command calls and
the kernel logs, we do not even know which kernel you are using. Also
please consider reporting this to LKML.

Also compare the result working as root and non-root user.

Eduard.