[Debburn-devel] wodim -dummy broken

Chris King colanderman at gmail.com
Mon May 21 17:29:16 UTC 2007

Hi,

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but it seems like the -dummy option is
broken for DVD media.  Running the following command line:

> genisoimage . |  wodim -dao -data -dummy tsize=1607183s -

claimed that it was indeed running in dummy mode:

> Starting to write CD/DVD at speed   2.0 in dummy SAO mode for single session.
> Last chance to quit, starting dummy write i   3 seconds.  0.31% done, estimate finish Mon May 21 13:16:28 2007
   0 seconds. Operation starts.

After it finished (no errors), I then proceeded with a "real" write
and wodim complained that there was data already on the disk.  So I
popped it in my DVD player and found that it had indeed been written
to!

This doesn't happen with CDs (and this is the first DVD I've burned
with wodim).  I'm running wodim 1.1.6 under Debian x86, and my drive
info is:

Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'MATSHITA'
Identification : 'DVD-R   UJ-846  '
Revision       : 'FM3J'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.

- Chris