[Debburn-devel] Bug report: genisoimage silently fails

Peter Samuelson peter at p12n.org
Wed Oct 24 23:30:57 UTC 2007

[Krzysztof Zelechowski]
> sh> genisoimage somedir/ somedir.iso
                         ^^^
I assume you meant to put a "-o" in there.

> qemu> change cdrom somedir.iso
> sh> touch somedir/newfile.txt
> sh> genisoimage somedir/ somedir.iso
> qemu> change cdrom somedir.iso
> C:\> dir d:\newfile.txt

> Expected result: genisoimage should fail because the image is mounted.

It is not "mounted", not in the sense that the OS kernel is using it to
provide a filesystem.  The file is in use by qemu, which is just
another user process.  You could say the same if you loaded the .iso
file into, for example, Emacs.  (Not that anyone would ever ... *ahem*
... at least I don't _think_ Emacs has a mode for ... hmmmmm.)

> Actual result: genisoimage runs happily but the image is not modified.

I can't reproduce this part.  When I try to run genisoimage with an
output file that some other process is using, genisoimage successfully
rewrites the file.  (Even if it _is_ a Linux kernel 'mount -o loop -r'.)

Perhaps it is successfully updating the file but qemu is caching the
old data?  You can test this theory with 'isoinfo -f -i somedir.iso'.
--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/