[Debburn-devel] Strange Problem with DVD Writing

Prasad H.L. hlprasu at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 20 07:29:36 UTC 2008

Dear all,

I have one interesting problem with my Sony DVD RW Drive (AW-G170A). After writing one CD using the drive, the drive refuses to write DVDs. Before writing the CD, I was able to write  to DVDs without any problem. In fact, I have written around 30-40 DVDs using the drive successfully. Few days ago, I wrote one CD using the drive. The CD was written successfully. But, yesterday, when I tried to DVDs, using the following commands -
------------------
1. 'genisoimage -print-size -q -R temp3/' to get the track size followed by
2. 'genisoimage -R temp3/ | wodim -v -speed=4 dev=/dev/dvd tsize=176s -' where 176 was the output of previous command.
------------------
'wodim' fails with the following set of messages -
------------------
wodim: No write mode specified.
wodim: Asuming -tao mode.
wodim: Future versions of wodim may have different drive dependent defaults.
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
wodim: Operation not permitted. Warning: Cannot raise RLIMIT_MEMLOCK limits.I: -input-charset not specified, using utf-8 (detected in locale settings)
Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 490
Total directory bytes: 622
Path table size(bytes): 10
scsidev: '/dev/dvd'
devname: '/dev/dvd'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Wodim version: 1.1.6
SCSI buffer size: 64512
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 5
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'SONY    '
Identification : 'DVD RW AW-G170A '
Revision       : '1.62'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
Current: 0x0011 (DVD-R sequential recording)
Profile: 0x002B (DVD+R/DL)
Profile: 0x001B (DVD+R)
Profile: 0x001A (DVD+RW)
Profile: 0x0016 (DVD-R/DL layer jump recording)
Profile: 0x0015 (DVD-R/DL sequential recording)
Profile: 0x0014 (DVD-RW sequential recording)
Profile: 0x0013 (DVD-RW restricted overwrite)
Profile: 0x0012 (DVD-RAM)
Profile: 0x0011 (DVD-R sequential recording) (current)
Profile: 0x0010 (DVD-ROM)
Profile: 0x000A (CD-RW)
Profile: 0x0009 (CD-R)
Profile: 0x0008 (CD-ROM)
Profile: 0x0002 (Removable disk)
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc DVD-R(W) driver (mmc_mdvd).
Driver flags   : SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: PACKET SAO
Drive buf size : 1015808 = 992 KB
Beginning DMA speed test. Set CDR_NODMATEST environment variable if device
communication breaks or freezes immediately after that.
FIFO size      : 4194304 = 4096 KB
Track 01: data     0 MB         padsize:  248 KB
Total size:        0 MB (00:04.00) = 300 sectors
Lout start:        1 MB (00:06/00) = 300 sectors
Current Secsize: 2048
HINT: use dvd+rw-mediainfo from dvd+rw-tools for information extraction.
Blocks total: 2298496 Blocks current: 2298496 Blocks remaining: 2298196
Max brk space used 0
176 extents written (0 MB)
wodim: Warning: controller returns zero sized Ricoh Vendor Page page.
wodim: Warning: controller returns wrong page 0 for Ricoh Vendor Page page (30).
Speed set to 5540 KB/s

WARNING: found a microscopic small track size (360448 bytes).
         Do you really want to write this image? Press Ctrl-C to abort...

Starting to write CD/DVD at speed   4.0 in real unknown mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting real write in    0 seconds. Operation starts.
Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
wodim: Warning: controller returns zero sized Ricoh Vendor Page page.
wodim: Warning: controller returns wrong page 0 for Ricoh Vendor Page page (30).
Performing OPC...
Errno: 5 (Input/output error), send opc scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  54 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 72 0B 00 00 00 00 00 0E 09 0C 00 00 00 02 00 00
Sense Key: 0x0 No Additional Sense, Segment 11
Sense Code: 0x00 Qual 0x02 (end-of-partition/medium detected) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 71.590s timeout 60s
wodim: OPC failed.
Writing  time:   96.485s
wodim: fifo had 6 puts and 0 gets.
wodim: fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was 100%.
------------------

As far as I could understand the error, it is a 'power caliberation error'.

Interestingly enough, the same thing happened with my previous DVD drive which was a 'SONY DVD RW DRU-170C' after I wrote one CD with it using 'wodim'.

Could somebody shed some light on this problem please.

With Regards,
Prasad H. L.

---
Prasad H. L.
Project Associate (with Dr. Shalabh Bhatnagar),
Department of Computer Science and Automation,
Indian Institute of Science,
Bangalore - 560012