[Debburn-devel] Can't create multisession DVD+R with growisofs

Eric Wanchic ewanchic at qwest.net
Mon Feb 11 15:28:25 UTC 2008

I am using a server installation of Gutsy 7.10. There is no GUI.
I'm trying to do a simple multisession test on a DVD+R.
I got this information from the man pages:
http://linux.die.net/man/1/growisofs

The basic idea is to:
Step 1 - Start the first track
Quote:
growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -R -J /some/files

Step 2 - Append each additional track
Quote:
growisofs -M /dev/dvd -R -J /more/files

Step 3 - Close the Disk
Quote:
growisofs -M /dev/dvd=/dev/zero

Here is what's happening:
-------------------------

Step 1 - Start the first track:
Quote:
root at ubunutu:/media/sdc1/backups/rt/2008/02# growisofs -Z /dev/hda -R -J
/media/sdc1/backups/rt

Executing 'genisoimage -R -J /media/sdc1/backups/rt | builtin_dd
of=/dev/hda obs=32k seek=0'
I: -input-charset not specified, using utf-8 (detected in locale settings)
genisoimage: Unexpected joliet directory length 110 expected: 114 ''
/dev/hda: "Current Write Speed" is 16.4x1352KBps.
54.76% done, estimate finish Thu Feb 7 10:57:36 2008
Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 676
Total directory bytes: 4448
Path table size(bytes): 32
Max brk space used 0
9151 extents written (17 MB)
builtin_dd: 9152*2KB out @ average 1.1x1352KBps
/dev/hda: flushing cache
/dev/hda: closing track
/dev/hda: closing session

Now this worked...I think. My drive's light stayed on...forever? So I
unmounted it but there was noting to unmount? So I hit the but. After a
couple red flashes of the light, the DVD popped out. I popped it into my
Windows drive, it showed up as blank. I placed it back into my ubuntu
drive and mounted it...that worked and i could read it. So i unmounted
the DVD and continued on with Step 2.

Step 2 - Append each additional track:
I moved an existing file out of the current directory and into another:
/media/sdc1/backups/rt/2008/02/ rt.2008.02.06.tgz , and added a new
file: /media/sdc1/backups/rt/2008/02/ rt.2008.02.07.tgz
Quote:
root at noah:/media/sdc1/backups/rt/2008/02# growisofs -M /dev/hda -R -J
/media/sdc1/backups/rt
Executing 'genisoimage -C 16,11200 -M /dev/fd/3 -R -J
/media/sdc1/backups/rt | builtin_dd of=/dev/hda obs=32k seek=700'
I: -input-charset not specified, using utf-8 (detected in locale settings)
Rock Ridge signatures found
Using 000;1 for /.. (..)
genisoimage: Error: '/..' and '/media/sdc1/backups/rt/..' have the same
Rock Ridge name '..'.
Unable to sort directory
genisoimage has failed: 1

I've looked through this forum, and on google with no avail. I hope
there is somewhat out there that can help with this issue.

Some additional things to add.

I've been studying K3B to see how they create a muslitsession DVD+R. It
worked. I was able to burn a single track that was readable by Windows.
And then a second track that it too was readable by windows. Works Good.

So I'm analyzing K3B debuging output to study what is done to create
these multisession burns. It looks to me like genisoimage is the program
that does most of the dirty work of setting up Rock Ridge, Joliet, the
file pathes, etc, and then rely on growisofs to actually burn the image
to CD.

Is this the better procedure? Are the man files incorrect?

I'll be waiting humbly for your direction. Thanks.

Eric