[Debburn-devel] mkisofs/genisoimage and md5sum

jieryn at gmail.com jieryn at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 12:28:15 UTC 2008

Hello,

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 3:02 AM, Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup at gmx.net> wrote:
> In my backup tool scdbackup there is a pipeline for this purpose:
>  formatter | checksummer | writer

That really wasn't very helpful, but thank you Thomas. I've solved
this problem and am posting the solution here in case anyone else is
interested:

jieryn at indigo$ mkisofs -quiet -o - directory | tee directory.iso |
md5sum > directory.md5

I've tested this on a variety of plain directory file trees as well as
with the -dvd-video option and everything seems to be working swell.
:-) I don't get status updates, but that's a penalty I'm willing to
live with for not having to read ~8G two times.

Developers, please consider adding md5summing directly as I do like
the mkisofs status information appearing, it's quite handy.

Thanks,
-jesse