[Debburn-devel] Detection of dual layer capabilities

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Sat Aug 15 09:21:45 UTC 2009

Hi,

Tommy Brunn wrote:
> Is there some way to detect whether or not a certain drive is capable of
> writing dual layer DVDs?

With such a drive wodim should _not_ answer:

Profile: 0x002B (DVD+R/DL)

when inquired by:

  wodim -v dev=/dev/sr0 -atip 2>/dev/null | grep '^Profile:.*0x002B'

If a DVD+R/DL disc is inserted, then the
answer with a DL capable drive should be:

Profile: 0x002B (DVD+R/DL) (current)

Regrettably i got no non dual layer DVD burner
any more for testing the lack of profile 2B.
My DVD-ROM and my CD burner do not report it.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas