[Debburn-devel] Low traffic?

Olivier Cailloux mlsmg at ulb.ac.be
Wed Feb 4 17:18:08 UTC 2009

Hi list,

The traffic on this list seems pretty low... This is surprising for me.
Is there some other place where I could ask some questions about DVD
writing, iso files, and such things?

(I asked the following question about 3 weeks ago and got no answer,
surprisingly IMHO.)

Thanks for any pointer.

------------
The DVD-Video I burn on my Debian box are not readable on Windows. The
DVD appears empty, and no software I could try are able to play the DVD
(they just seem to consider the DVD as empty). The very same DVD plays
well in Linux (xine) and the files it contains are displayed in Nautilus.

I copied the content of a DVD-Video on my hard disk, as an iso file. I
don't remember exactly how I did that (it's an old copy), but the md5sum
of the .iso file matches the md5sum of the original DVD (I computed the
original md5 hash when I made the copy with dd if=/dev/hdd | md5sum).

Now when I burn the iso on the disk (using command line wodim or using
gnome baker), I get a DVD which plays on my Debian box but not on Windows.

I don't know if the problem comes from the iso file or the burning
process... In my opinion, the fact that the md5 hashes match proves that
the iso file is identical to the original DVD, so burning it on a DVD
should make it identical to the original... Isn't it? Is there anything
special to be done when burning? Should I somehow check the iso file for
correctness? Any help would be appreciated!
Olivier