[Debburn-devel] MinGW port

Pavel Koshevoy pavel at aragog.com
Sun Jul 5 19:29:46 UTC 2009

Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Hi,
>
> why don't you reply to my mail but instead forward my mail to
> unrelated people who are not interested in this software?

I prefer to keep this discussion open.  Obviously, you are on the cdrkit mailing
list, so I can reply to the list and you will still receive the e-mail.

> My software definitly has been compiles by me on mingw 5 years ago.
> This was done using smake as GNU make is too buggy to do the job.
>
> Did you get the latest schily consolidation from
>
> ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/schily/
>
> and compile it? It contains an automated bootstrap for smake.
>
> The main problem to get a working smake is to find the right POSIX "enough"
> SHELL. See the DJGPP related comment in smake/make.c
>
> It is of course simpler to port clean software line the original cdrtools
> instead of using a variant that was modified by people who do not care
> about portability and who do not have the needed skills for writing portable
> software.
>
> Note: cmake is no smake replacement but just another makefile generator.
> cmake is a big problem for portability in the fork you mention.
>
> Jörg

smake can not work on MinGW because it requires symbolic links (at least from
what I've seen), and MinGW doesn't provide that.  I was able to build smake
using Cygwin and Microsoft Services for Unix (Interix), but the smake binary I
built that way could not be used under MinGW (I think smake remembered the OS it
was built on and configured the build for that OS instead of MinGW?)

Also, the structure of makefiles in cdrtools is fairly confusing for an
outsider.  Makefiles including Makefiles including Makefiles, etc...  -- very
difficult to follow.  CMake helps avoid this complexity.

Anyway, this is all a moot point now.  I've got what I wanted from cdrkit and cmake.

I appreciate your work on cdrtools.  I couldn't get the latest version to work
on MinGW.  You may want to try that for yourself, and update the build
instructions.  The current docs for building cdrtools on MinGW simply say to run
make.

Thank you,
	Pavel.