[Debburn-devel] Bug report: Incompatibility with HL-DT-SH DVD+RW GH50N

Marcio Teixeira Marcio.Teixeira at numerica.us
Fri Nov 20 23:26:12 UTC 2009

Hi,

My company has recently purchased five brand new Dell Vostro 420 computers for running Linux and in testing out these new machines I've identified what I think is an incompatibility with wodim and the drives used by Dell (an HL-DT-SH DVD+RW GH50N). While our solution going forward will likely be to swap out these drives with others, I thought I would e-mail this list to see if there is any information I can provide that will help the wodim developers address this issue.

Originally the problem was identified in Fedora 10, which uses wodim 1.1.8, but I have thus verified the problem persists in Fedora 12, which has wodim 1.1.9. In either case, swapping out the drive with another resolves the issue. I've also upgraded the firmware on the drive to the latest available from Dell and the problem persists.

I'm not sure what kind of diagnostic output will be useful to help identify this problem, but attached is the output of wodim (I am showing a dummy run, real runs look much the same, but I've already got enough coasters for several rounds of beer).

-- Marcio

-----

[root at localhost scripts]# wodim -v -dummy dev=/dev/dvd speed=2 /tmp/cdimage.raw
wodim: No write mode specified.
wodim: Asuming -tao mode.
wodim: Future versions of wodim may have different drive dependent defaults.
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '/dev/dvd'
devname: '/dev/dvd'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
Wodim version: 1.1.9
SCSI buffer size: 64512
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 5
Response Format: 2
Capabilities   :
Vendor_info    : 'HL-DT-ST'
Identification : 'DVD+-RW GH50N   '
Revision       : 'B102'
Device seems to be: Generic CD-ROM.
Current: 0x0009 (CD-R)
Profile: 0x0012 (DVD-RAM)
Profile: 0x0011 (DVD-R sequential recording)
Profile: 0x0015 (DVD-R/DL sequential recording)
Profile: 0x0016 (DVD-R/DL layer jump recording)
Profile: 0x0014 (DVD-RW sequential recording)
Profile: 0x0013 (DVD-RW restricted overwrite)
Profile: 0x001A (DVD+RW)
Profile: 0x001B (DVD+R)
Profile: 0x002B (DVD+R/DL)
Profile: 0x0010 (DVD-ROM)
Profile: 0x0009 (CD-R) (current)
Profile: 0x000A (CD-RW)
Profile: 0x0008 (CD-ROM)
Profile: 0x0002 (Removable disk)
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R96R
Drive buf size : 1053696 = 1029 KB
Beginning DMA speed test. Set CDR_NODMATEST environment variable if device
communication breaks or freezes immediately after that.
Drive DMA Speed: 15696 kB/s 89x CD 11x DVD
FIFO size      : 4194304 = 4096 KB
Track 01: data    16 MB
Total size:       18 MB (01:51.45) = 8359 sectors
Lout start:       19 MB (01:53/34) = 8359 sectors
Current Secsize: 2048
ATIP info from disk:
  Indicated writing power: 5
  Is not unrestricted
  Is not erasable
  Disk sub type: Medium Type A, high Beta category (A+) (3)
  ATIP start of lead in:  -11634 (97:26/66)
  ATIP start of lead out: 359846 (79:59/71)
Disk type:    Short strategy type (Phthalocyanine or similar)
Manuf. index: 3
Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corporation
Blocks total: 359846 Blocks current: 359846 Blocks remaining: 351487
Speed set to 706 KB/s
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed   4.0 in dummy TAO mode for single session.
Last chance to quit, starting dummy write in    0 seconds. Operation starts.
Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
Starting new track at sector: 0
Track 01:    0 of   16 MB written.Errno: 5 (Input/output error), write_g1 scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  2A 00 00 00 01 D1 00 00 1F 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 2A 30 02 80 21 02 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x21 Qual 0x02 (invalid address for write) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 0.004s timeout 40s

write track data: error after 952320 bytes
wodim: The current problem looks like a buffer underrun.
wodim: It looks like 'driveropts=burnfree' does not work for this drive.
wodim: Please report.
wodim: Make sure that you are root, enable DMA and check your HW/OS set up.
Writing  time:   13.669s
Average write speed   8.2x.
Fixating...
WARNING: Some drives don't like fixation in dummy mode.
Fixating time:   63.241s
wodim: fifo had 79 puts and 16 gets.
wodim: fifo was 0 times empty and 5 times full, min fill was 92%.
[root at localhost scripts]#
[root at localhost scripts]# wodim -version
Cdrecord-yelling-line-to-tell-frontends-to-use-it-like-version 2.01.01a03-dvd
Wodim 1.1.9
Copyright (C) 2006 Cdrkit suite contributors
Based on works from Joerg Schilling, Copyright (C) 1995-2006, J. Schilling