[Debburn-devel] bug in genisoimage 1.1.9: leading space in -graft-points file names

Matthias Ansorg matthias at ansorgs.de
Fri Oct 2 20:46:24 UTC 2009

Dear developers of cdrkit,

from cdrkit.org I learned that bug reports for my favorite CD/DVD tools have
to go here. Please note that I am not a list member, so further questions have
to go to my address matthias at ansorgs.de .

I encountered the following bug using genisoimage 1.1.9 (Linux):

The following command leads to file names in the ISO image starting with two
spaces, though the spaces in this bash command are unescaped and unquoted and
should therefore be only for indentation of the continued lines:

genisoimage -r -J -o DVD.iso -graft-points \
  Documents=/somedir/Documents \
  Music=/somedir/Music

So in the image, the directories on the root level are named "  Documents" and
"  Music" (starting with two spaces each). Note that, to reproduce the bug,
you have to enter / paste this command as it is, with the "\" line
continuation marks and in multiple lines and the second and third line
starting with two spaces.

Another interesting thing happens when including a starting "/" in the graft
points (don't know if it's allowed by genisoimage, though):

genisoimage -r -J -o DVD.iso -graft-points \
  /Documents=/somedir/Documents

The directory on the root level of the disk is now "  " (the name consists of
two spaces). Which is hard to detect in most software, as it seems like a
directory with an empty name.

So much for now :-)
  Matthias