[Debburn-devel] Bug: Can't put files bigger than 4GiB on disk

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Thu Oct 22 10:33:17 UTC 2009

Hi,

> it appears there is a bug in the current cdrkit version that doesn't
> allow me to put files bigger than 4GiB on a disk. I tried calling
> mkisofs with
>
> -udf -allow-limited-size -iso-level 3
>
> Sadly, no success there, the files on disk remain unreadable. Am I doing
> anything wrong here or is it actually a bug?

Not knowing about genisoimage with large files
and especially not about -allow-limited-size,
i have to stress that in the past at least Linux
was not able to read files >= 4 GiB in ISO images
properly.
(Such files have to be split into several
 pieces, called "extents", and the reading system
 has to put them together.)

Recent Linux kernels are said to work better.
Mine is of summer 2007 and cannot read some bytes
from the end of multi-extent files in images
created by libisofs. But users of recent Ubuntu
report that there are no problems any more.

man genisoimage says:

-allow-limited-size
   The result is an inconsistent filesystem and users need
   to make sure that they really use UDF rather than ISO9660 driver
   to read a such disk.

This sounds slightly frightening.
Maybe you should try without.

If you are using Linux for reading:
Did you enforce mounting of UDF by mount -t udf ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas