[Debburn-devel] Brasero DVD Burn Error - Wodim Stderr

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Thu Feb 25 09:31:42 UTC 2010

Hi,

> I encountered a DVD write error while trying to burn an ISO image
> (Ubuntu 9.04 - Brasero). Attached is the error log.

> BraseroWodim stderr: CDB:  2A 00 00 00 00 1F 00 00 1F 00

This is the command to write the first 62 kB
of data to the medium.
The size of 62 is an unlucky choice of wodim.
It should rather be aligned to 32 kB.

> BraseroWodim stderr: Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, deferred error, Segment 0
> BraseroWodim stderr: Sense Code: 0x0C Qual 0x00 (write error) Fru 0x0

This is SCSI error
  3 0C 00 WRITE ERROR
Sparse and concise: write did not work.

Theoretically it could be that the drive firmware
took offense from the 62 kB. But i would not bet
on that.

> BraseroWodim stderr: wodim: Please properly read the error message above.

Done by now.

Proposal:

Put the affected DVD-R aside. It might or might
not be still usable. But its use could obscure
the actual problem if you make further tries.

Try to burn a fresh DVD-R with growisofs.
In a shell terminal, execute this command line:

  growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/sr0=/home/gosa/Desktop/lucid-desktop-i386.iso

(derived from your Brasero's
  wodim ... dev=/dev/sr0 ... -dao ... /home/gosa/Desktop/lucid-desktop-i386.iso
)

If this works, then ask Brasero support about how
to use growisofs for DVD rather than wodim.

The failed DVD-R could then be tried with
growisofs at the next occasion. If it fails,
then don't wonder but just trash it.

If growisofs does not work either, then try media
of a different manufacturer or revision.
To learn the real manufacturer and revision,
perform (with drive tray already loaded)
this shell command:

  dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/sr0 | grep 'Media ID'

This replies something like:
   Media ID:              RITEKF1

I could offer you my own burn programs for DVD,
but it is not easy to surpass growisofs on the
field of proper media handling. In most cases
one can only try to be as good.

> I am still a newbie to Linux.

For the newbie-misleading aspects of the
incident:

> BraseroWodim stderr:

"stderr" is one of the two standard output
channels. It is supposed to transport info
messages and error messages.
The other channel is "stdout" which shall
transport result data.

So this prefix does not necessarily indicate
an error.

> it appears that Wodim is unable to raise the priority of the write job

These are complaints of questionable
significance.  Whether they are justified or not:
They do not apply to the very first write packet.
So we can ignore them for now.

> There were some communication breaks.
> BraseroWodim stderr: Beginning DMA speed test. Set CDR_NODMATEST environment variable if device
> BraseroWodim called brasero_job_get_flags
> BraseroWodim stderr: communication breaks or freezes immediately after that.

No break. Just this info message:

  Beginning DMA speed test. Set CDR_NODMATEST environment variable if device
  communication breaks or freezes immediately after that.

Well disguised, though. :))

Have a nice day :)

Thomas