[Debburn-devel] LG CH08LS10 not burning CDs

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Sat Jan 30 22:59:45 UTC 2010

Hi,

> Well I just checked with one of the devs of my distro and he gets
> same dmesg output as i but burning works....

Does he have the same burner and firmware ?

We have a report in this thread that revoking a
firmware upgrade revoked the problem too.
(Was it by you ? The thread gets longer and longer.)

It would be so easy to make the firmware safe.
It should just reject the incomming requests
which would lead to burn aborts, rather than
switching out of burn mode and refusing on the
next write command.

> I just checked and found this:
> ps -ef | fgrep sr0
root 2455 2403 0 13:16 ? 00:00:00 hald-addon-storage: polling /dev/sr0 (every 2 sec)
> hald is accessing my drive every 2 secs?

Yeah. That's one of the well known culprits.
On my system it spoils about 1 burn out of five.
Easy to spot and easy to kill selectively for
each drive.

> could this be it?

If it moves the lens to block 0 every two
seconds then this might slow down the DVD burn
more and more as the write position moves out.
It has the full potential to spoil CD-R[W] runs.

> Fasle alarm, killing hal-addon-storage has no effect, still this line
> bugs me:
> Sense Code: 0x30 Qual 0x05 (cannot write medium - incompatible
> format)

It is one of the known error message caused by
drive molesters. Even more strange is
  2 30 06 CANNOT FORMAT MEDIUM  INCOMPATIBLE MEDIUM
which one can get too.
There seem to be several occasions for the burn
failure which trigger different errors.
There is no clear rule when to issue which one.
So expect different errors on different drives.

Are the dmesg messages gone when hal-addon-storage
is gone ?
Is it really gone ?

Have a nice day :)

Thomas