[Debburn-devel] Burning corrupted data CDs with wodim

Jérôme jerome at jolimont.fr
Thu Jul 22 08:56:53 UTC 2010

Hi,

thank you for your answer.

Le 22/07/2010 10:10, Thomas Schmitt a écrit :

> Checksum errors are not the fault of the burn
> program as long as plain data are written.
> In that case, the checksums are to be computed by
> the drive.
> (There are other CD write modes where the burn
>   program computes the checksums.)

OK, thanks for the explanation.

>> It just worked with Xfburn, so I assume the CD-burner is not guilty.
>
> Thank you for using a libburn based program :)

To tell you the truth, I'm getting a bit confused. I get the rough idea
of the backend (cdrecord), the fork from the backend for unclear license
issues (cdrkit), which then changed its name (wodim), but I don't know
what libburn is to this. I suppose it is an unrelated equivalent, which
is why I blamed wodim for the failures, since libburn seemed to do the
trick.

> Proposal:
> Try to read older CDs which once worked fine.
> Try to read the problematic CD by another
> computer or drive.
> Try to write other brands of CD.
> Try to write with another computer or drive.
>
> A single success or failure does not say much.
> One can easily get lured into false impressions.
> Three successes resp. failures in a row would be
> more significant.

I could (and probably will) do more testing but it already seems to be
systematic. I filed the bug against brasero after two or more failures
and then wrote to you more recently after a new failure (no success in
between, as far as I remember).

I should add that I successfully burnt an audio CD and that the DVD
burning and reading seem to work like a charm.

The death of my drive is an option that came to my mind quickly - after
all, it's not that young anymore - and I tested on another computer
which couldn't read the CD either. Writing issue, it would be.

Anyway, I guess that's up to me to figure out. And before bothering
anyone anymore, I should have series of tests done to be sure of what
I'm claiming.

Before proceeding to extensive testing, I need to know

- if CD-RW burning tests are relevant (I hope so...)

- if audio CD tests are useless, relevant, or if they can even bring
more information (like if it was one of these modes where the checksum
is done by the software)

- if DVD burning tests are relevant (I guess the answer is no)

Thanks again for taking the time to provide me with those clarifications.

Have a nice day.

--
Jérôme