[Debburn-devel] wodim -tao and wodim -msinfo doesn't work on a DVD

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Fri Apr 1 12:40:45 UTC 2011

Hi,

> It should make a daily backup of my
> data without overwriting the last DVD within 48 hours (it's bad if
> the DVD and HDD crashes at the same time somehow), md5 checksums,
> compressing, protecting with a password and writing redundant data
> until the DVD is full..

Sounds actually like a job for xorriso.
Most of the mentioned features are already available there.
Have a look at
  http://www.gnu.org/software/xorriso/man_1_xorriso.html#EXAMPLES
and scroll down to "Incremental backup of a few directory trees".

I use a similar command for daily backups on DVD+RW, BD-R and BD-RE.
300 sessions of 2 GB on one BD of 25 GB. Not compressed. Just
de-duplicated on file level.

How do you plan to implement the password protection ?
Per file ? For the whole image ? How shall it get mounted then ?
(I am much interested in backup use cases.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas