[Debburn-devel] isoinfo error message

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Mon Jul 29 10:57:24 UTC 2013

Hi,

> Today, i put a cd  with the installation of windows XP 32 bits, and issued
> the command
>    isoinfo -d -i  /dev/cdrom
> An error message resulted:
> Invalid argument: Seek error on old image.

Is there an ISO 9660 filesystem on the CD, at all ?
What do you get from

   file -s /dev/cdrom

The message can come from two sources: genisoimage/scsi.c and
genisoimage/multi.c. The latter would be not plausible.

A look into genisoimage/scsi.c tells that the program tries to
move the file read pointer to the start of a data block.
Probably called by genisoimage/diag/isoinfo.c line 933:
  readsecs(16 + toc_offset, &ipd, ISO_BLOCKS(sizeof (ipd)));
The variable toc_offset is supposed to be 0.
(Not understanding what's underneath getallargs(), i assume
 from the man page, that option -T would set a non-zero value.)

Any ISO image is supposed to have a Primary Volume Descriptor
block at address 16.
Thus my question, whether it is an ISO 9660 filesystem.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas