[Debburn-devel] Possible bug in 4GiB filesize check

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Thu Jun 13 13:01:41 UTC 2013

Hi,

Frantisek Kluknavsky <fkluknav at redhat.com> wrote:
> can you please point me to some information source about this bug? It is
> unresolved in both K3b and Fedora bug trackers.

The first report known to me is
  http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2008/06/msg00062.html
Andy Polyakov's diagnosis and appeasement is in
  http://lists.debian.org/cdwrite/2008/07/msg00092.html

I see that he advises to avoid this error by using already
formatted BD-R (prepared by dvd+rw-format).

We have to face the fact, though, that Andy did not release
dvd+rw-tools-7.2 since nearly five years now. He did not
answer to service requests on cdwrite mailing list since
at least 4 years.
So to my biased view, BD should be burned by my libburn.

I can offer xorriso or cdrskin as burn backends if one does
not want to link with libburn and use its API.
libburn does no BD-R POW which Andy favors because some old
Solaris versions do not mount the last session but always
the first one on DVD and BD.
I dislike POW because it is a fatty form of Defect Management
which never made a good impression to me in five years of
BD burning.

If somebody donates a spindle of classic 2x-4x single layer BD-R
(not "LTH" media) then i would nevertheless be willing to try
fixing that growisofs bug. The hint about already formatted
media should give a good start.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas