[debhelper-devel] RFR: Please review bug-188028 branch

Niels Thykier niels at thykier.net
Thu Aug 13 08:04:16 UTC 2015

Hi fellow debhelper contributors,

I have written a patch for #188028 ("dh_installinit's postinst snippet
lacks test $1 = configure"), which is available at [patch-188028].  I
hope you will take a moment to review it.

Without the patch:
 * All calls would attempt to configure and start daemons (if the init
   script was present).

With the patch (or intended behaviour with the patch):
 * configure + abort-upgrade: Attempt to configure and start daemons if
   the init-scripts are there.
 * abort-remove + abort-deconfigure: Do nothing

Additional info
===============

The bug requests that we only configure / start daemons when the
postinst is called with "configure".  My understanding of the [Policy
6.5] is that we should also *try* to do this during a abort-upgrade.
AFAICT, this aligns with "postinst configure" and "postinst
abort-upgrade" being the only two path that can lead to the package
being in the "installed" state.

Thanks,
~Niels

[patch-188028]: