[debhelper-devel] Bad interaction between pbuilder/debhelper/dpkg-buildinfo/dpkg-genchanges and dak on security-master

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Jul 13 07:47:05 UTC 2017

James Clarke writes ("Re: Bad interaction between pbuilder/debhelper/dpkg-buildinfo/dpkg-genchanges and dak on security-master"):
> On 12 Jul 2017, at 10:30, Ian Jackson <ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> > Wait, what ?  You're telling me that dpkg-genchanges will pick up
> > random .buildinfo files it happens to find lying around ?  And that
> > this is deliberate ?
>
> No, only files mentioned in debian/files, which will be emptied for a
> subsequent build.

That makes more sense.  So this oddness with different (and
partially-overlapping) changes files is something pbuilder has done,
perhaps accidentally.

I find myself agreeing with Thorsten:

   I think it's best that the persons responsible for creating those
   buildinfo files comment on the scope of then, after which it should
   be decided whether

   1) *_source.changes should never list a buildinfo file, or
   2) *_source.changes may list a *_source.buildinfo file, or
   3) something else that does not work with the way the archive works.

The .buildinfo files were invented as part of the reproducible builds
project, but the decision to include a .buildinfo which talks about
binary packages, even in a source-only upload, was taken by the dpkg
maintainer.

My view from Thorsten's options is (1).

Ian.