[debhelper-devel] Do you want to give debhelper-compat a wider test base?

Niels Thykier niels at thykier.net
Tue Apr 10 18:55:00 UTC 2018

Peter Pentchev:
> Hi,

Hi Peter,

> I really like the idea of debhelper-compat (= 11).  However, I also
> see the warnings emitted by all the debhelper tools about its being
> experimental and subject to change :) (quite understandable, of course)

I am glad you like it and I hope it will eventually become the new
default way of specifying the compat level.

> Should I try to upload a couple of packages using it, see how many
> tools break?

I am mostly concerned with whether packaging "just works" or not.  Like
the basic infrastructure including backports etc.  It should but I have
not had time to test it.  If you could test how it works in -backports
that would be great. :)

>  If you think that it's worth trying, I could look into
> adding support for it to, say, Lintian or Config::Model::Dpkg.

I am holding back on that until I have seen / tested at least -backports.

> Thanks for all your work on debhelper!
>
> G'luck,
> Peter
>
> [...]