[debhelper-devel] [RFC 0/4] improve verbosity/silentness of debhelper

Bernhard R. Link brlink at debian.org
Sat Jan 3 15:16:27 UTC 2015

* Niels Thykier <niels at thykier.net> [150103 09:57]:
> I have a minor nitpick with having two variables internally for this
> purpose.  I think it would be better to map ENV{DH_QUIET} = 1 to:
>    dh{DH_VERBOSE} = -1
>
> So the code only needs to check one variable and we always get
> consistent results (consider an external tool that might check them in
> the other order than debhelper does).

If its about the internal variables then there is no danger as the code
setting $dh{VERBOSE} or $dh{QUIET} will never both be set at the same time.

>   Admittedly, it does break the "if ($dh{VERBOSE})" pattern, so it is
> not "free" to implement.

Changing the meaning of the internal variables would have the disadvantage,
that other Dh_Lib using tools would have to be changed. Currently
$dh{VERBOSE} = -1 (while being a bit undefined) has rather the same
meaning as $dh{VERBOSE} = 1 in all the code I have seen.

	Bernhard R. Link
--
F8AC 04D5 0B9B 064B 3383  C3DA AFFC 96D1 151D FFDC