[Debian-arabic-packages] xfardic, xfardix-xdb-gnulinux packages on the svn

Lior Kaplan kaplan at debian.org
Fri Feb 9 14:28:15 CET 2007

Branches and tag are technically the same in Subversion. They are both
copies of files (created using 'svn copy' command).

There difference is what we do with them - tags are meant to be read
only, and used as references in case we need the files of a specific
release.

Branches are meant to allow people to work on the a copy of trunk,
without actually touch trunk. We usually used branches to do disruptive
work which we only want to merge when it's done.

Example:
We work on a package and release a few versions of it. Each version is
tagged after its release. Now we want to fix a bug in the first release.
  Since the files in trunk have been changed since that release - we
should use its tag in order to get the same files.

We will copy the tag to a branches (since we don't write changes to
tags), and work on it...

Now we want to have two concurrent versions of the package, since
upstream started working of version 2 of it. We can do a copy of trunk
into a new branch since we won't commit the changes back to trunk.

When we decide version 2 of the package is out main release tree - we
will swap the files in trunk from the old version to version 2.

As you noticed in Branches we have a sun directory for upstream files.
We can decide not to use this if we tell svn to have a flag "merge with
upstream" that meaning when we try to buid the package, it will first
extract upstream tarball.

current is just a copy of the latest upstream dir.

I prefer option 2, if the upstream tarball can be used without any
changes after downloading it.

Please read about svn-inject which eases the insertion of new debian
packages into subversion. Mail me the command you think needs to be ran
in order to add your package.

--

Lior Kaplan
kaplan at debian.org

GPG fingerprint:
C644 D0B3 92F4 8FE4 4662  B541 1558 9445 99E8 1DA0