[Debian-coldfire-devel] What toolchain?

Leon Woestenberg leon.woestenberg at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 10:38:53 UTC 2006

Hello all,

soon I will be bringing up our Coldfire 5474 based board, with the ultimate
goal of running Linux (with MMU support). Formerly I did the same for a 527x
board with uClinux, but that project has ceased. I have noticed there being
a number of current toolchains around currently:

- CodeSourcery (targetting newlib, linux-uclinux, and soon linux) - "
freescale-coldfire-4.1-3-m68k-uclinux.src.tar.bz2"
- Freescale's BSP - "ltib-mcf547x_8x-20051213.iso"

- Upstream support in GCC, binutils and glibc.

I plan to be able to create a toolchain from source using crosstool, from
upstream sources and the minimum of patches, with the purpose of being able
to track any upstream development.

What toolchain do you guys'n'gals use?

I noticed there being a binutils in debian-coldfire's SVN tree, what exactly
is its purpose?

Regards,

Leon Woestenberg.