[Debian-coldfire-devel] Progress?

Wouter Verhelst wouter at debian.org
Fri Jun 2 08:27:27 UTC 2006

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 11:32:12PM +0200, Aurélien GÉRÔME wrote:
> I searched for "coldfire" on wiki.debian.org, but the only relevant
> link is <http://wiki.debian.org/ArchiveQualification/m68k>.
>
> Is there a web page which describes what is done and what is to do?

Not really; a post on this mailinglist is all, I guess.

To repeat:
* Binutils/compiler changes (need to be pushed upstream)
* Glibc changes (same, need to be pushed upstream)
* archive rebuild, test test test
* optionally, kernel changes so that it implements classic m68k-specific
  opcodes by emulation (would allow us to start compiling with coldfire
  machines right away rather than having to wait for the above three
  points to be finished)

[...can't help with Freescale's sales policy...]
> The last option remains the "full" board
> <http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=M5485EVB&parentCode=MCF5484&nodeId=0162468rH3YTLC00M93426>
> at $850 which is not an affordable price for me. :( Quite a price,
> compared to the lite board, for the only addition of a VGA chip and
> another PCI slot...

Actually, there is yet another option: one of us with a working
installation could give you an account on the board for hacking, so that
you could work by remote.

I'd be willing to do this, but I'd need to rearrange some things then,
first.

--
Fun will now commence