[Debian-coldfire-devel] Progress?

Aurélien GÉRÔME ag at roxor.cx
Fri Jun 2 10:42:54 UTC 2006

Hi Wouter,

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 10:20:58AM +0000, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> To repeat:
> * Binutils/compiler changes (need to be pushed upstream)
> * Glibc changes (same, need to be pushed upstream)
> * archive rebuild, test test test
> * optionally, kernel changes so that it implements classic m68k-specific
>   opcodes by emulation (would allow us to start compiling with coldfire
>   machines right away rather than having to wait for the above three
>   points to be finished)

It also occurs to me that Coldfire has some opcodes legacy m68k
has not.

> [...can't help with Freescale's sales policy...]

If you took what I said as a rant, I am sorry: it was not my intention.
I also wanted to know what I can answer to people asking for Coldfire
hardware. :)

Actually, Sven told me it would cost more than $350, because it was
the price for the board only, and $250 would need to be added for
the MCF5484 processor, making a total of $600.

My wide guess is Freescale stopped to sell the lite board, because
it was MCF5484-based and they just released a new MCF5485 processor
which they sell with the "full" board, known as EVB, at $850 all
stuff included.

> Actually, there is yet another option: one of us with a working
> installation could give you an account on the board for hacking, so that
> you could work by remote.
>
> I'd be willing to do this, but I'd need to rearrange some things then,
> first.

Thanks a lot, it is very kind of you. However, I think I can arrange
something with Sven, because we live at 1 hour of train from each
other. :)

Cheers.
--
((__,-"""-,__))  Aurélien GÉRÔME           .---.
 `--)~   ~(--`   Free Software Developer  /     \
BOFH excuse #181: Atilla the Hub