[Debian-coldfire-devel] Booting?

Christian T. Steigies cts at debian.org
Wed Mar 22 10:19:01 UTC 2006

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 10:03:49AM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> So, yesterday I finally received my board, too, so we should all have
> them now.
>
> I've been trying yesterday to boot the thing, but have thus far been
> unsuccessful. Getting the .iso from the Freescale website was fun (took
> me five attempts to get it), downloading colilo to the device was easy,
> getting colilo to download a kernel over TFTP and boot it wasn't all
> that hard either.
>
> However, getting a working system seems to be a different matter. I've
> done
>
> colilo> tftp 0x1000
> colilo> set cl console=ttyS0,19200n8 root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=192.168.119.2:/home/wouter/debian/m68k/cf/ ip=192.168.119.20
> colilo> g 0x2000
>
> Then lots of interesting things happen, except that the kernel is not,
> in fact, spewing output at 19200bps to the serial console--which makes
> it kinda hard to figure out what's going wrong (it also doesn't find its
> nfs root).
>
> Any hints? Anyone with a clue as to what the real speed is the console
> is using?

Don't change the speed of the serial port as mentioned in the docs, just leave
it as it is. Or, if you changed it already as I did, set it back to the original
value, I think 38400? I got a kernel to boot, but the kernel did not find
the root filesystem. So please kep us posted, or maybe start a wiki page
describing the procedure in detail. I have notes at home, but home is offline
for some unknown reason...

Christian