[Debian-coldfire-devel] Re: Coldfire Linux

Wouter Verhelst wouter at debian.org
Wed May 10 19:05:53 UTC 2006

[ColdFire development is really going on in the debian-coldfire alioth
project, not (yet) here. Cc set accordingly]

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 01:20:37AM -0400, Mark Duckworth wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm trying to bootstrap linux on my coldfire (Logic M584litekit eval
> board).
>
> So far I have the linux kernel up and running, a full gcc cross compiler
> suite working and a busy box system up and running on the kernel.
>
> The very next step for me is to get gcc/glibc working on the device,
> however all of the binaries I try to produce with the gcc I built for
> the CF come back bus error.  For now I give up.

I've seen the same things.

If you run it inside gdb (the ltib toolchain which you can download from
Freescale's website after registering (at no cost) contains it; dunno
whether you have that), you'll see that it catches its SIGBUS while in
the PLT section. I suspect it's something similar to #327780, but
haven't been able to investigate in-depth yet.

If you feel like spending some time on this, a first good step would be
to compare objdump -d output from a working binary and a broken one (the
ltib stuff would seem to produce working binaries at first glance).

> I wonder if anyone on the list has a bootstrap for coldfire with gcc
> 3.4.x and -mcfv4e support.  It'd be nice to just skip this step
> entirely ;)
>
> It's important to me to build a FULL linux developer system out of the
> coldfire system itself rather than do the traditional cross compiler
> thing and I think most people on list can agree with that sentiment.

Yeah, absolutely. In fact, in a Debian context, the "cross compiler
thing" isn't "traditional" at all ;-)

--
Fun will now commence