[Debian-coldfire-devel] Linux on coldfire MCF547x

Thu Nov 9 17:37:00 CET 2006

Hi All,

I am new to this list and to using linux on embedded projects other than
x86. I am fairly experienced with linux on the desktop. I currently work
exclusively with kubuntu edgy amd64 on my desktop.

I have an assignment towards getting linux on the MCF547x/8x evaluation
board from freescale and also a customized version of the same. I am sure
there are people on this list that are experienced with this and i am
seeking you help with getting started.

I have a set of questions that i am going to put out and hope to get good
response. :-)

1) What is the recommended bootloader? The eval board comes colilo but i am
inclined towards going with Das u-boot. The customized version of the board
has a combination of NOR (for the boot loader) and NAND flash (JFFS2 root
filesystem with the linux kernel inside).

2) Freescale claims that the kernel is modified. What are the modifications?
I was considering a picking a new version of the kernel from kernel.org and
only using the appropriate config file as used by freescale.

3) How does the MTD subsystem identify and operate with the flash chip. Do
the bootloader and the kernel need to explicitly notified of the particular
chip and interface being used? And then at run time or compile time? Here
NOR flash is somewhat understandable as it is memory mapped and operates
like RAM. How about NAND flash?

4) Tool chain: will i need to compile them or are there debs available?
Where can i get the binaries and/or how can i compile the toolchain? I have
a parallel port BDM from P&E Micro. Will i be able to use it on linux? Any
documentation available?

The operation of the flash chips is the most intriguing. This setup could
vary widely from one hardware to another. The interface can vary even if
the chips remained the same. right? I have been looking out for
documentation on this but was unable to find anything relevant. Hope
someone here can guide me.

Thank you all in advance. Sorry if ask to much! I think more from the
hardware point of view. :-)
--
Cheers!
kitts