[Debian-coldfire-devel] Linux on coldfire MCF547x

Fri Nov 10 17:17:44 CET 2006

Thanks plenty for you response. I know i cant expect any immediate responses
but the recent activity (or the lack of it) made me wonder if there were
people still subscribed?. Old posts relating to the v4e core and your
response gives me confidence. :-)

On Friday 10 November 2006 21:07 IST, you wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 10:07:00PM +0530, kitts wrote:
>
> I'll answer to the best of my abilities, but do note that this list is
> more about getting Debian to run on the thing (which as of yet isn't
> possible) rather than helping people with doing embedded development.
> For the latter, you'll find more help on the mailinglist
> 'coldfire at wildrice.com'. There are also some people from Freescale who
> subscribe to that list.

Granted. I posted here as i thought the goals would be related and hence the
people here would have the necessary knowledge. :-) I was unable to find
much being discussed on the v4e cores elsewhere.

> > 2) Freescale claims that the kernel is modified. What are the
> > modifications? I was considering a picking a new version of the kernel
> > from kernel.org and only using the appropriate config file as used by
> > freescale.
>
> Hardware support patches, mostly. Most of them have been merged with the
> upstream Linux kernel by now, if I'm not mistaken.

Could someone throw more light on this? The kernel.org site for m68k seems
way out of date!

If i am looking into the kernel source, where can i find the info? looking
into the folder drivers/mtd/maps i do not find any folder or file referring
547x or 548x or the eval boards. Sorry, i am not much of a linux kernel
hacker.

> > 4) Tool chain: will i need to compile them or are there debs available?
> > Where can i get the binaries and/or how can i compile the toolchain? I
> > have a parallel port BDM from P&E Micro. Will i be able to use it on
> > linux? Any documentation available?
>
> There are currently no debs available, and there won't be for a while.
> To get a working toolchain, there's a .iso you can download from the
> Freescale website. You have to register for that first, though.
>
> The environment on that iso is supported on Debian 3.1, and a few other
> platforms (not sure about (k)ubuntu). It allows you to generate
> filesystem images that are directly ready for deployment on a
> CompactFlash card for your board, or (as I do) NFS trees that you can
> boot off of with NFS-root.

Thanks for the information. While i am at it, do they offer source code and
compile options that we need to use to build it?
--
Cheers!
kitts