[Debian-eeepc-devel] debian sid and alsa problems

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Sun Apr 6 14:08:14 UTC 2008

Hello everybody,

I got some problems on my fully updated debian sid installation with
alsa and wanted to discus them and see if anyone of you have the same
problems. I hope we have some good upstream solutions for them.

1. I cant record any audio with my internal or externel mic. When i use
an other usb audio device as input it works fine.
- Can somebody try to record any audio with internal and extern mics?

arecord -D plughw:0,0 -c 1 -r 8000 -f S16_LE - | aplay -D plughw:0,0 -c
1 -r 8000 -f S16_LE -

arecord --verbose --device=plughw:0,0 --channels=1 --rate=8000
--format=S16_LE --file-type wav recordtest.wav

2. I tried the alsa configuration posted on the below wiki page and it
does one thing very nice, somehow it boost up the max audio volume.
However its also gives some distortion's when I play audio that is not
there when I don't use the configuration.
- Does somebody have some ideas to solve this?

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/Sound

3. What are the FLOSS alternives for skype under linux. I cant use a sip
based system, it has to use tcp protocol.

4. Why can't I play audio over the internal speakers and output the same
signal on the lineout?

5. When i used the snd-hda-intel module the system does not shut down.
Why is this, is there a bug report. I saw some nasty solutions forcing
the module to unload when halting the system. But what would be the best
solutions and is there any work in process?

Kind regards,

Jelle

---

some debug info:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/Sound
cat eeepc/resources/asoundrc > $HOME/.asoundrc

arecord -D plughw:0,0 -c 1 -r 8000 -f S16_LE - | aplay -D plughw:0,0 -c
1 -r 8000 -f S16_LE -
arecord --verbose --device=plughw:0,0 --channels=1 --rate=8000
--format=S16_LE --file-type wav recordtest.wav

lsmod |grep ^snd |awk {'print $1'}|xargs sudo rmmod

speaker-test --channels 2

speaker-test -Dplug:surround51 -c6

amixer set 'LineOut' 80%
amixer set 'LineOut' mute