[Debian-eeepc-devel] Install Debian on your Eee PC over wireless

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Sun Apr 6 14:39:22 UTC 2008

http://syn.theti.ca/articles/2008/04/06/install-debian-on-your-eee-pc-over-wireless

Install Debian on your Eee PC over wireless

   Posted by Ben Armstrong Sun, 06 Apr 2008 14:20:00 GMT

   Installing Debian on your Eee PC is even easier now, as the option to
   install over wireless[1] is now present in our custom debian-installer
   image. Also, the new installer automates installation of many more
   things than prior releases, so wireless, acpi hotkeys and suspend all
   'just work' out of the box.

   Two barriers remain to including wireless support for the Eee in Debian
   main. The first is the lack of wireless support in the official d-i
   installer. The second is the dependency on the non-free madwifi driver.
   I have no illusions about this being ready for Lenny, but I hope in
   Lenny + 1 this will be realized.

   The good news is that Nick Kossifidis is working on getting support for
   the Eee into ath5k. For patches, see:

   http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mickflemm[2].

   I have created a stub page FreeYourEee[3] in our wiki about making a
   completely DFSG free install of Debian on the Eee. I encourage anyone
   going this route to contribute.

   1. http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/Install
   2. http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mickflemm
   3. http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/FreeYourEee