[Debian-eeepc-devel] debian sid and alsa problems

Jelle de Jong jelledejong at powercraft.nl
Tue Apr 8 13:43:11 UTC 2008

Sven Arvidsson wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-04-06 at 16:08 +0200, Jelle de Jong wrote:
>> 1. I cant record any audio with my internal or externel mic. When i use
>> an other usb audio device as input it works fine.
>> - Can somebody try to record any audio with internal and extern mics?
>
> I don't use any special ALSA configuration and I have no problem using
> the internal mic to record (with Ekiga and gnome-sound-recorder).
>
> All I had to do was to muck around with capture and/or unmute for i-Mic
> and play around with the volume levels with gnome-volume-control.
>
>> 3. What are the FLOSS alternives for skype under linux. I cant use a sip
>> based system, it has to use tcp protocol.
>
> Possibly something based on Jingle (Google Talk)?

Thank you Sven,

I had an other closer look at all the options and noticed I forgot to
uncap the capture. This solved the audio issues. The internal and
external microphones are working. To bad listeners are reporting very
annoying noises in the audio. Think I will try a bluetooth headset soon.

amixer set 'PCM' 90%
amixer set 'LineOut' 90%
amixer set 'LineOut' unmute
amixer set 'Capture' 90%
amixer set 'Capture' uncap
amixer set 'Digital' 90%
amixer set 'Input Source' 'i-Mic'
amixer set 'e-Mic' 70%
amixer set 'e-Mic' mute
amixer set 'e-Mic Boost' 33%
amixer set 'i-Mic' 70%
amixer set 'i-Mic' mute
amixer set 'i-Mic Boost' 33%
amixer set 'iSpeaker' unmute

Also thank you for the Jingle hint, i did a lot of surfing and did some
research. Hopefully Pidgin will get support for it in the next release,
then they have to get rid of all those unnecessary dependency (network
manager, gstreamer, gnome libs etcetera)

Kind regards,

Jelle