[Debian-eeepc-devel] (Без темы)

Eric Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Tue Apr 29 16:27:18 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 06:50:50PM +0400, nzabrod wrote:
> First of all, I want to rebuild kernel, which installed in installer
> =) by myself, and than make some tweaks - e.g. enable hpet (or hept
> ? =)) and make usb persistant enabled - to enable hibernation with
> SD card.
>
> So the questions are:
>
> What sources should I grab ?

apt-get source linux-2.6

(I would do this on a bigger build machine, see below and you
should be running a Debian lenny or sid environment on it.)

> What patches should I apply to make everything work on eee, like it
> works now (I mean acpi, wifi, sound - etc.)

I don't believe the Eee team applies any patches; they use the Debian
kernel as-is, plus patched out-of-kernel modules for acpi, wifi, and uvcvideo.
(I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.)

These out-of-kernel modules and how to compile them are described on
the Wiki.

> Can someone point me to a kind of tutorial ?

You should be able to build the linux-image-* package from source like
any other Debian package:

    $ cd linux-*
    $ dpkg-checkbuilddeps
    install any missing build-dependencies ...
    $ debian/build binary
    go get a large cup of coffee ...
    ... .debs will be left in parent directory

> And the final question - I installed lenny on Big Brother
> (vmware at desktop) - so can I build kernel for eee on it ? Or I need
> to build it on eee ?

I definitely recommend building kernels and modules on a more powerful
machine.  As long as it's an x86, all you have to do is copy over the
resulting .debs to the Eee.