[Debian-eeepc-devel] Fw: Bits from the Debian Eee PC team, summer 2008

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Sun Aug 3 11:50:37 UTC 2008

For those of you who don't follow d-d-a ...

[1]Bits from the Debian Eee PC team, summer 2008

   As always, we're doing lots of interesting and significant things and
   have more good ideas than we have people to do the work.  If you have
   an Eee PC or are planning to get one, or are otherwise interested in
   our work, some of which has uses beyond just the Eee, here are some
   highlights:

Earliest Eee models fully supported in Lenny

   Lenny will release with the atl2 ethernet driver and the non-free
   madwifi-source now works with the earliest Eee models as well, so our
   patched version is no longer needed.  This means Lenny will work with
   all of the earliest models of the Eee PC: 701 (2G and 4G surf, 4G,
   8G) and 900!

Free drivers

   Nick Kossifidis has [2]submitted patches on linux-wireless supporting
   the Eee models currently supported only by the non-free madwifi in
   ath5k.  This means we'll soon realize our goal of a completely
   [3]DFSG free system for the earliest models of the Eee.  By 2.6.27,
   or at the latest 2.6.28, these models will be supported.  Then we
   will see about making a patch to support whichever kernel makes it
   into Lenny.

New models

   Model 901, 1000 and 1000H users are now able to install using the
   atl1e ethernet driver from eeepc.debian.net.  Support for wireless
   and other aspects of the new hardware will follow soon.  The
   debian-kernel team was prompt to add atl1e to 2.6.26 which has just
   been uploaded to sid. We hope 2.6.26 makes it into Lenny.

Wireless installer

   Glenn Saberton has been doing an upstanding job adding wireless
   support to our custom Debian-installer.  We have supported WEP
   authentication for several releases, now, and a beta version supports
   WPA.  Glenn is also making progress with these patches upstream so
   that non-Eee Debian users will benefit from our work.

LXDE is in Lenny

   [4]LXDE has entered Lenny, thanks to Andrew Lee.  It is a quite
   lightweight desktop environment that is made with the Eee PC in mind.

Live images

   Two flavours of [5]Debian-live USB images are available: a demo of
   the LXDE desktop and a minimal console-only image for rescue/backup.
   The images are still in alpha stage of development.  If you'd like to
   help, give us a shout.

   More interesting things are planned for the future that benefit
   Debian as a whole.  With a small amount of work patching live-helper,
   anyone will be able to make a live image that includes a customized
   Debian-installer.

Mobile device initiative

   This month on debian-devel, there was some [6]interesting discussion
   about Debian support for the Intel Atom processor and a possible
   mobile net device initiative.  That's something we could get behind,
   if anything comes of it.

Wiki translation

   Robert Epprecht has been keeping the [7]German wiki translation in
   good shape, but we could always use some more help with any of the
   translations.

New members welcome

   If you'd like to join us, check out our site at
   [8]http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC and drop us a note on our list
   or join our irc channel and talk to us about what you'd like to do.

1.
http://syn.theti.ca/2008/08/02/bits-from-the-debian-eee-pc-team-summer-2008
2. https://lists.ath5k.org/pipermail/ath5k-devel/2008-July/001156.html
3. http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/FreeYourEee 4. http://lxde.org/