[Debian-eeepc-devel] Debian Wiki: Splashy With Dmcrypt And Standard Grub

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Thu Aug 7 11:24:19 UTC 2008

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 16:21:52 +0200
Paul Menzel <paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> it looks like the concerning packages are now available in Sid.
>
> $ LANG=C aptitude search atl2-modules-2.6.26-1-686
> p   atl2-modules-2.6.26-1-686       - Driver for the Atheros L2 Fast Ethernet Ad
> p   atl2-modules-2.6.26-1-686-bigme - Driver for the Atheros L2 Fast Ethernet Ad
>
> $ LANG=C aptitude search eeepc-acpi-modules-2.6.26-1-686
> p   eeepc-acpi-modules-2.6.26-1-686 - Driver for hotkeys found on the Asus Eee P

Good.  So we can start preparing for that, though we should still make
the thrust of our documentation be 2.6.25 until this enters Lenny.

> Side question: On some pages of the wiki Linux 2.6.24 is still
> mentioned. Should that be updated?

Yes.  Everyone should be on 2.6.25 now.  The only place that should
mention it is the /HowTo/Upgrade page.  However, take care when
updating user-submitted pages.  I've been meaning to split the HowTo
guides into 'official' and 'user submitted' guides because the former
are updated by and blessed by us, whereas the latter are not as
carefully reviewed/updated -- those should tested to make sure they
still work when major changes occur, like switching kernels.

The SplashyWithDmcryptAndStandardGrub guide is an example of a
user-submitted guide that we do not support.  The others are ours.

Also, /Boot contains some unsupported things.  It already clearly
indicates they are unsupported, so there's nothing to fix.  However,
we should think of perhaps making /Boot be a supported page instead that
links to a /HowTo/OptimizedBoot (or maybe a more specific name?)
containing the unsupported bits of this page.

 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org