[Debian-eeepc-devel] athk5 work for 701

Damyan Ivanov dmn at debian.org
Thu Aug 7 20:46:21 UTC 2008

-=| Jean-Christophe, Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 07:40:19PM +0200 |=-
> > These are great news. Could somebody tell me, how I can get the
> > modules
> > installed on my sid system. In what package are/will be the athk5 module
> > be packaged in?
> >
> In Sid, with kernel 2.6.26, I just uninstalled completely madwifi (if
> installed from the source, type 'make uninstall' in the source
> directory) and mawifi-tools. When I rebooted, the wifi was reconized,
> the module ath5k was probed and I had ath0... I had no need to put it in
> /etc/modules.
> But then, I was unable to use the wifi: it couldn't find any network...
> Any idea about how to get it working?

The ath5k driver in 2.6.26 cannot work with the atheros chip in the
Eee. Looking at 2.6.26-rc2 changes[1], it seems that 2.6.27 may be the
kernel we're waiting for.

    ath5k: Add RF2425 initial rfgain values

    [1] http://lwn.net/Articles/292951/

I am not completely sure that this indeed means adding full support to
the 2425 chip, but it looks like a step in that direction :)

(Disclaimer: I only have experience with model 701)

dam            JabberID: dam at jabber.minus273.org