[Debian-eeepc-devel] No boot without ac adapter

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Aug 13 18:40:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 20:02:53 +0200
InSa <insa_hc at yahoo.it> wrote:
> Before doing that I would like to be sure that blacklisting thermal will
> not cause fan to not start when it should be, I do not know if they are
> related but I think it's better to know it before giving possible
> breakable workaround. ;)

See eric's suggestion to boot with nocrt=1, then.  But I'd like to know
if thermal gives meaningful numbers in that case.

As for fan control, I have been told that's in hardware anyway (except
in the case where people are using the unsupported eee.ko module to
implement their own fan control in userspace). I think with critical
temperature turned off, thermal just reports back what it thinks the
temperature is and doesn't do anything else to influence the operation
of the Eee.  Though it would be good if someone who knows the kernel
code could confirm this, or else read the source yourself.

 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org