[Debian-eeepc-devel] Wireless OSD display on 901+ models

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Mon Aug 18 09:02:50 UTC 2008

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 08:26:10 +0300
Damyan Ivanov <dmn at debian.org> wrote:
> Actually, in hotkey.sh we only need to see if the wireless is enabled,
> i.e. whether there is a wireless interface available at all, not its
> name.

Yes, but elsewhere don't we need its name?  So I was thinking of a
function returning the name.  If it is non-null that would indicate the
presence of a wireless interface.

> so perhaps something along the lines of
>
>     if [ -n "`iwconfig | grep -v '^$' | grep -v 'no wireless extensions'`" ]

No.  This is incorrect because 'no wireless extensions' is output on
stderr, not stdout.

> but I am not sure this is much more elegant either. iwconfig(1) talks
> about /proc/net/wireless itself so we may as well stick to the source
> of the information :)

Yes, I thought of that, but it looked slightly more complicated to
parse out the wireless name.

Surely we are not the first to want to determine this.  Isn't there an
implementation of this anywhere else in Debian?  I started to look but
admit I didn't do a very careful or thorough search.