[Debian-eeepc-devel] Wireless OSD display on 901+ models

Damyan Ivanov dmn at debian.org
Tue Aug 19 05:28:26 UTC 2008

-=| Iván Sánchez Ortega, Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 07:49:31PM +0200 |=-
> El Domingo, 17 de Agosto de 2008, Ben Armstrong escribió:
> > What about this to determine the wireless interface instead:
> >
> > WLAN_IF=`iwconfig 2>/dev/null|cut -d' ' -f1`
>
> IMHO, it's much more elegant to query the eeepc model using dmidecode, then
> write the config file, e.g.:
>
> -----------
> model=`dmidecode -s system-product-name`
>
> case $model in
> 	901|1000|1000H)

I thought about thi too, but I find it not that nice to write case
statements checking for 12 (and ever increasing) models. I prefer
checking vor available functionality instead.

> 		echo eeepc 901 detected: ralink, ra0, bluetooth
> 		volume_label='Master'
> 		headphone_label='Headphone'

I admit solving all model-related differencies in one place is
tempting. My idea for the mixer channels was to check if there is a
channel labelled 'Master' and use that, otherwise check fot 'Line-Out'
(or whatever its name was) and use that, otherwise ...

What do others think? Shall we concentrate the feature detection about
the model name (retrieved via dmidecode)?

> This way, of course, you also automatically fix the issue of the alsa channels
> at install time.

I was thinking about a run-time check, although an install time check
would us from the hassle of detection later.

Perhaps the only way of doing an install-time check is by the
model-based approach you propose.

Can mixer channel names' change by upgrading the kernel or alsa
libraries?

> I'm currently reading the debian guidelines on how and when use
> debconf - so please have some care if you use my hacked .postinst
> file.

use debconf for what? It would be unnecessary to ask the user "Which
model you have?" or "what's the label of the master mixer channel?" if
we can determine these automaticaly :)

dam            JabberID: dam at jabber.minus273.org