[Debian-eeepc-devel] Anyone used PXE network boot on 901?

Phil Endecott spam_from_debian_eee at chezphil.org
Tue Aug 19 10:45:22 UTC 2008

Dear All,

My 901 has just arrived and I'm enthusiastic about getting Debian
running on it.  Thanks in advance to all the people who have been
making this possible.

I've always used PXE network booting to start the Debian installer,
rather than a CD or USB flash drive.  I find this method quick and
easy, but since this wasn't mentioned as an option on the Debian Eee
wiki I had guessed that it wasn't possible on the Eee.  However, my 901
definitely has PXE as an option (once you have found the right BIOS
settings) and it has just booted into an old Debian installer it found
on my tftp server (predictably, it gets as far as "no ethernet card was detected").

So, am I the first to try to do this (I don't find any mention of PXE
in the list archives), or has someone else been here before?  Does
anyone know what I have to do to convert the project's custom installer
to work with PXE?  I've never really looked at what's inside the Debian
network installer, but I have the impression that there's just a
kernel, an initrd.gz and some config files.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,  Phil.