[Debian-eeepc-devel] Wireless OSD display on 901+ models

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivan at sanchezortega.es
Tue Aug 19 11:00:56 UTC 2008

El Martes, 19 de Agosto de 2008, Ben Armstrong escribió:
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 08:28:26 +0300
>
> Damyan Ivanov <dmn at debian.org> wrote:
> > Perhaps the only way of doing an install-time check is by the
> > model-based approach you propose.
>
> If we go this route, please at least pretend we can do feature checks.

I think that won't work, suppose the following scenario:

User buys a new eeepc, tinkers with Xandros, and:
- Turns the webcam off (won't be seen on lsusb)
- Turns WiFi off (won't be seen on lspci thanks to pciehp)
- Turns bluetooth off (won't be seen on lsusb)

How do you detect these features? Send ACPI commands, turn everything on,
detect them (lspci/lsusb/iwconfig/whatever), turn everything off?

Another issue is detecting ALSA channels... You can assume that the wireless
interface and kernel module will be the same during a period of time, but the
alsa channels may change depending on the kernel version AFAIK.

May I propose a boot-time detection of the ALSA channels?

Cheers,
--

MSN:i_eat_s_p_a_m_for_breakfast at hotmail.com
Jabber:ivansanchez at jabber.org ; ivansanchez at kdetalk.net