[Debian-eeepc-devel] Fix for 2.6.26 PCI hotplug error when enabling wireless

Eric Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Sun Aug 31 20:27:26 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 09:29:24PM +0100, Phil Endecott wrote:
> Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> > OTOH, I giess there was a reason for it to be that way. If 701 owners
> > can test that the simplification below (or a subset of it) works for
> > them, I'd be happy to change the code.
>
> I really hope that this stuff is still sufficiently "new" that we can
> find out why it was put there!  Is there a commit message somewhere?  A
> few comments would have been nice too....

I think I was the one who originally contributed this script, and Nico
later checked it in as part of the eeepc-acpi-scripts package.

I based it on various "black magic" solutions that had been posted on
the eeeusers forum, and made it as simple as I could through trial and
error.

Without the module unloading, etc., it still does not work on my 701,
BIOS 1101, running kernel 2.6.26.  For example, if you just load
pciehp, then toggle the wlan sys variable, the kernel does not see any
new device.  If you just load the ath-pci module without first
unloading/reloading pciehp, the wifi0 and ath0 interfaces don't get
created.