[Debian-eeepc-devel] Can't connect anywhere with rt2860

Glenn Saberton gsaberton at foomagic.org
Sun Dec 7 12:07:34 UTC 2008

Tomaž Šolc wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm having problems connecting to any wireless network with rt2860
> driver on my 901. It appears to be the same problem as discussed
> previously in this thread:
>
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-eeepc-devel/2008-October/001265.html
>
> I can see networks with "iwscan", but "iwconfig" doesn't seem to have
> any effect (even when I do "ifconfig ra0 up" before "iwconfig"). For
> example, when I do "iwconfig ra0 ssid xxx", the ssid doesn't show up
> when I do "iwconfig ra0".
>
> dhclient on an open network times out, as does wpa_supplicant on a WPA
> network (Authentication with ... timed out)
>
> I'm using rt2860-source 1.8.0.0-2 and a kernel compiled from
> linux-source 2.6.26-11,
>
> "iwpriv ra0 driverVer" confirms I'm using the 1.8.0.0 driver.
>
> I've tried recompiling rt2860 driver with
> HAS_NATIVE_WPA_SUPPLICANT_SUPPORT=n with no success.
>
> Any ideas what else I could try?
>
> Thanks
> Tomaž

Hi,
	The rt2860 has a few quirks when you are using the cli tools. When
trying to associate to an open ap, I have found that you need to set the
mac address of the ap with 'iwconfig ra0 ap xx:xx:xx:xx' then it seems
to show the ssid correctly. When you are trying to set a wep key, it
appears that you have to set the driver to wep mode with iwpriv
commands. When using a wpa1 ap, it appears you need to set the
protocols. I have found setting wep keys and wpa2 networks no problem
with the driver, but wpa1 can be problematic. A lot of people seem to
have success with wicd or network-manager. see
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/Wifi/Rt2860
Let us know how you go, and feel free to update the wiki page if think
there is something worthwhile adding to it. (you just have to register a
nickname to be able to edit)

Cheers

Glenn