[Debian-eeepc-devel] Stuttering sound problem

Greg Eden grege at melbpc.org.au
Sun Jul 13 11:38:57 UTC 2008

To everyone trying to use an EeePC as a mp3 player.

I had a problem with stuttering sound on my 900 - every twenty seconds
or so there would be an interruption to the sound stream. With a bit of
trial and error I worked out that it was only occurring when running on
battery. I use Exaile as my music player, but Rhythmbox had the same
issue.

The solution appears to be to install the Enlightenment Sound daemon and
gstreamer-esd. The restart and go to System -> Preferences -> Sound and
set everything to Enlightenment.

Now the sound plays smoothly in all instances. I have an Apacer 16gb
SDHC permanently in the SD slot that has about 12gb of music and Exaile
works beautifully. I did the BIOS update for the 900 that fixes issues
with some SDHC cards. The EeePC is attached to my car sound system via
the headphone jack and it is configured so that when the lid is closed
it turns off the screen, but does not shut down.

enjoy

Greg Eden
grege at melbpc.org.au
Melbourne PC User Group, Australia