[Debian-eeepc-devel] Synaptics driver fail on EEE PC 900

Fabio Pugliese Ornellas fabio.ornellas at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 14:32:10 UTC 2008

Updates:

Since there is no kernel changes regarding Elantech touchpad, I de facto
found a lot of entries on the changelog of the xorg synaptics driver which
came with my EEE PC 900 saying it has beeen altered to work with this
Elantech device. I repacked it and tryed at my Debian testing, but the
driver won't load (xorg complain about missing symbols or whatever). And
worse, I could find no source code for those driver alterations.

I am finding really strange, that such forum posts (you mentioned
Alessandro) envolve patching the kernel, since Asus itself didn't do that in
first place. Well, I contacted both Asus and the guy tho signed the
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics package changelog asking for the source code of
the alterations. The worst I can listen is a no, but I really hope the
copyright owner of that code understands the high importance of releasing it
for a better operating system compatibility of such devices.

I'll be on hold on the matter, until I hear something from one of the
contacted parties.

Bye.

----
Fabio Pugliese Ornellas