[Debian-eeepc-devel] Newbie experience

david cuthbertson scienceinthegreen at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 5 17:20:52 UTC 2008

Hi,

Nice one. I have been looking for a fast minimal
console terminal based system with full access to
Debian packages to help GTD my life. Debian-eeepc is
exactly what I am looking for.

My install at present is asking whether I wish to
abort or install an initrd kernel image. I've never
been asked this question before; it is a little
worrying. Rtfm-ing for it; nothing in the list
archives. However I do find in the wiki; quote:
if you're reading this, you almost certainly already
know how to install Debian. :)

...I carried on regardless and luckily I can now boot
into a shiny new console terminal that appears to
work. I almost nearly know what I'm doing;) But a huge
number of new EeePc users know even less than I do. A
few more words of help on the wiki install page may be
useful. For example swap size? The debian installer
proposes 230MB; DamyanIvanov has used 256MB in his
hibernate contribution. Yes, I know there are no hard
and fast rules, but is the 26MB difference a
significant one?

Where is the best place to post issues/problems
if/when I get any? Do I fill in a debian bug-report or
post here, or EeeUser.com, or Debian.org?

Is this the right place to tell you what a great job
you are doing - or would you rather traffic here was
minimal and exclusively technical developer stuff; not
for noobs like me? ;)

Cheers,
David
p.s. You really are doing great stuff!