[Debian-eeepc-devel] Newbie experience

Eric Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Fri Mar 7 15:50:47 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 11:06:45PM -0600, Karl O. Pinc wrote:

> Arn't the code segments of programs modified by the loader?

Much of the code is in shared libraries, which aren't modified
(they're compiled as position-independent code).  If you have
gnome-system-monitor installed, you can see this by choosing a process
and then selecting "View" > "Memory Maps". It's a nice way to see how
much of a process's memory is private vs. shared, clean vs. dirty,
etc.

> I suppose it could come down to saying that RAM is cheap these days.
> But then setting up a swap partition's pretty easy, and provides
> insurance against the out of memory killer when, like me, you do
> something stupid that happens to use a lot of RAM.

That's reasonable.  I think it's a personal decision, given that the
SSD on the Eee is so small, what you want to use it for.