[Debian-eeepc-devel] Newbie experience

Eric S Fraga e.fraga at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Mar 6 16:38:17 UTC 2008

At Thu, 06 Mar 2008 08:09:33 -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> > For example swap size? The debian installer
> > proposes 230MB; DamyanIvanov has used 256MB in his
> > hibernate contribution. Yes, I know there are no hard
> > and fast rules, but is the 26MB difference a
> > significant one?
>
> This is likely not clear because unless you're doing hibernate (which
> in my opinion is a frill that most people can do without) you don't
> need swap at all.  Feel free to leave a note in the wiki about this.

How reassuring to read this!  I thought I was alone in thinking that
hibernate is a frill.  In fact, I think the same of suspend, when
applied to my eee.  I have configured my eee to power off on lid
closure so when I'm done working on it, I simply close it and put it
away, knowing that it boots up quickly enough to not be a worry!

Anyway, thanks to all involved.  Having debian on my eee is fantastic.